As a Professional Organizers I’m all about being intentional about how you store things. The garage, laundry room, or utility closet are often places that need help. These are areas where long-handled tools, long cords, and hoses often create a hassle and unsightly piles taking up valuable floor space. Utilizing hooks helps take advantage of vertical wall space and group like items together.
Know your options
There are 3 general options to choose from:
- Individual hooks
- Modular options where you install a mounting strip and snap in different hooks
- Pre-designed strips of hooks
In all cases, hooks come in all different lengths and shapes to manage the variety of items you have.
Things to Hang
- Brooms & mops
- Shovels, rakes, yard tools
- Vacuum hoses and wand extensions
- Hoses, outdoor extension cords
- Use your vertical space to lift your tools up, freeing up valuable floor space
- You can use the entire wall, not just the ground level
- Hanging tools keep the handles separate for easy access
- Dedicated hooks make maintenance and access easier, keeping the storage spaces neater and functional.
Here are some examples:
And finally, here’s how I used a pre-designed strip of hooks on the back of a door to wrangle brooms. So much better than having them clutter up the limited space in the kitchen!